The Credentials Committee made recommendations to the Board to update the Credentialing Standard. The Board at the April 2023 Board meeting approved the updates, which are now in effect.
The changes were made to meet a variety of objectives including but not limited to:
- Removing unintentional barriers & be more inclusive of a diversity of applicants;
- Recognizing all applicants and registrants as equal applied biology professionals;
- Demonstrating reasonable, fair and equitable requirements for all applicants; &
- Maintaining the College’s commitment to continuous improvement in meeting the OSPG’s standards of good regulation.
The changes are as follows:
- Removing the volunteer work experience restrictions of 7 and 5 months for Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) and Registered Biology Technologist (RBTech) applicants.
- Accepting a Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree for applications for a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) streams 2 and 3;
- Accepting 12 months of applied biology work experience only for a thesis-based Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in applied biology; and
- Having ABT and RBTech streams 1, 2 and 3 and RPBio streams 1 and 2 applied biology work experience time period to have earned applied biology work experience to be the same, all within the last 10 years. This ensures fairness, consistency and equality among these three registration categories.
Any questions can be directed towards the Registrar & Director of Compliance Shona Lawson, M.Sc., RPBio.