Click here to view a listing of suggested CPD resources
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program
Professional development is used to reference a wide variety of specialized training, formal education, and advanced professional learning intended to help applied biology professional registrants of the College of Applied Biology maintain, improve and expand their profession. This includes knowledge, competence and skills, and area(s) of expertise.
The purpose of a professional development program is to protect the public interest via an assessment of registrants’ compliance with professional standards through 1) helping with professional development and 2) ensuring compliance. The College has three professional development programs in place. They are the Audit Program, the Practice Review Program and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program.
Introduction to CPD as a Regulated Professional
The College has developed a webinar which covers the basics of the CPD program, including some common activities that can be claimed towards the CPD requirement. The webinar also provides a demonstration about how to record activities in the CPD tracking module in the registrant portal. At the end of the webinar, you will learn how to claim it as a CPD activity!
Watch the College’s CPD Webinar
Furthermore, there were some questions from the session that we didn’t have time to answer live, so the College has provided the answers via download here.
The below are some suggested resources that may be considered CPD activities. The below list is not exhaustive nor are any of resources endorsed by the College. Many of the resources are free and may cover a range of topics from applied biology, general science to business management, leadership and diversity. Refer to Policy 7 – 100: The Continuing Professional Development Program and the CPD Standard for information on CPD areas such as categories, criteria and associated claimable points. It is registrants’ responsibility to ensure CPD activities align with the College’s criteria when claiming points.
- US Fish & Wildlife Service National Conservation Service Training Center
- Canada’s Adaptation Platform webinars (PDF handouts and video-recordings — English)
- Climate Change Webinar video-recordings and PDFs
- ECO Canada webinars
- Harvard Business Review webinars
- Ontario Centre for Climate Impacts
- Canadian Wildlife Federation webinars
- Science (magazine) webinars
- Nature Conservancy of Canada webinars
- Evaluating Stormwater to Identify & Quantify Causal Toxins from Tire Degradants
- 2022 updates to the Migratory Birds Regulations – Canadian Wildlife Service/Environment and Climate Change Canada
Virtual Conferences and Events
- Wildlife Disease Association Conference — TBD
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources (IASNR) 2021 Conference — TBD
- Conferences and Meetings on Biology
- Conferences and Meetings on Botany
- Conferences and Meetings on Zoology
- Mountain Research Initiative
- Sustainable Ocean Management & Conservation Conferences and Events
Legal Resources: Legislation, regulation and court rulings
- CANLII (a searchable website for legislation, regulation and legal cases that have resulted on in Canada)